The Nicholson organ at St Paul’s was built in 1874 under the leadership of the firm’s founder, John Nicholson (1815-1895). The organ was built in Cumbria during his tenure.
The organ is housed in a stand-alone case within a spacious chamber attached to the north side of the chancel and speaks through a low arch. Much influenced by the organ builder William Hill, John Nicholson felt incumbent to provide structured choruswork on each division of the organ: the choice of a Principal 4’, Fifteenth and three rank Mixture on the Swell Organ is a classic example.
That cost was not an issue is demonstrated in the decorated and guided facade and large-scaled open wood bass on the Pedal Organ.
Little has altered since new. It is of historic interest as a rare example of Nicholson’s work. It has two manuals (keyboards) a Great and Swell. The action is entirely mechanical - tracker action. Little has changed in the organ’s lifetime.
There are 18 speaking stops plus couplers - pedal Swell Organ and pedal to Great. There are also 3 combination pedals to Great Organ and 3 to the Swell..
The organ is grade II listed. Ideally it needs some sympathetic restoration.
Here's a clip of John Corran playing Verset by A Van Den Kerckhov. on our organ.
There is a memrial plaque nearby to an organist and choirmaster from 1899 to 1927.